LACE - Lifelong Learning and Active Citizenship in Europe´s
|Client:||European Commission; Netherlands Platform Older People and Europe (NPOE)|
|Cooperation Partners:||German Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth, Impact (Belgium), Age Action Ireland (Ireland), Odyssee Groep ( The Netherlands), Third Age University (Slowenia), University of Florence (Italy), University of Barcelona (Spain)|
|Project Period:||2005 - 2007|
Project-Coordinator at ISAB: Silke Brauers
- Increasing the active civic engagement of Europe´s ageing population via the development of new programs for the encouragement of active citizenship in Europe
The model program EFI (Experience Knowledge for Initiatives), developed by the ISAB, is one of several innovative European programs for the encouragement of civic engagement of senior citizens. This program serves as the main starting point for the European cooperation project “Lifelong Learning and Active Citizenship in Europe´s Ageing Society” (LACE). LACE is a contribution to the creation of a positive view on seniority. The two year project is aimed at the increase of active civic engagement of senior citizens via new concepts for the promotion of voluntary comittment.
LACE is financed by the Socrates-Program of the EU. The integration of the model program EFI (Experience Knowledge for Initiatives) into the European promotion concept LACE is co-financed by the German Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth.
Experts agree on the growing importance of linking lifelong learning with newly established and innovative roles and functions for older people – and to do so in a creative way.
LACE initially analises the potentially usable existing programs on this matter. This will serve to create a practical guideline for the constitution of new responsible role profiles for older European citizens. This is meant to increase the percentage of active citizenship of senior citizens in the long term.
The following models are the main starting points of the LACE-Program:
- The German model program EFI (Experience Knowledge for Initiatives), developed by the ISAB (representative: Silke Brauers)
- „Senior Citizen´s Consultans´Training“, developed by the Higher Institute for Family Sciences (HIG), Belgium
- The „SESAM Academy“, developed by Netherlands Platform Older People and Europe (NPOE)
Aspired outcome of the project is the establishment and reinforcement of networks for adult education as well as networks for represantatives of senior politics and the volunteering sector. A European network composed of the coordinators of the already existing programs, scientists, education experts and European umbrella associations interchanges informations and experiences on good-practice-examples.
Project partners are:
- Netherlands Platform Older People and Europe (NPOE), Netherlands (Coordination)
- ISAB, Germany
- Impact, Belgium
- Odyssee Groep, Netherlands
- Third Age University, Slowenia
- Age Action Ireland, Ireland
- University of Barcelona, Spain
- University of Florence, Italy